Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Diplomacy in Honesty

Dear Fake Psychiatrist,
Today I am thinking about honesty.

I am excessively honest. Brutally honest. Overly honest. The kind of honest where you don't want to ask me if those jeans make your ass look too big. I'll tell you that it's not the jeans that are making your ass look big. Don't ask me if you don't really want the answer.

I am working on my diplomacy. I try not to offer my opinion on things unless pressed. ("If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.") I have found that silence offends people too. I find fake-ness to be more offensive than brutal honesty, but most people don't share this mindset.

The interesting thing is that I am extremely thin skinned, not easily offended but very easily hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment