Saturday, March 7, 2009

Brainstorms for Topics to Write About -- Post #0

I am calling this post #0 because it doesn't really count. There's no real topic, and this won't be very interesting to the people who don't know me very well. It's mostly for my own sake and to try to get more ideas from the people who really do know me. Anyone else is welcome to read it, I just don't think you'll get much out of it.

D-rock has been encouraging me to start writing about stuff (random stuff) in his words:
"you love to write, so write a story about all the random things that have happened to you in life and sell it. you just have a way of writing that i think people...even non-readers like me would totally get into...just random stuff...happy stuff...sad stuff...you know, like when you had Mini and Desi...times you've been to rock fest...the birthday party "everyone goes skinny dipping and shows off their nipples" story... fun times...well, you could place a little warning at the beginning of the book that explains your worries about making things up and people would understand...in fact that could be your first chapter."

So this is going to be a list and a brainstorm of things to write about. No one has to read any of it. Writing things is therapeutic enough.

I don't really write the right way though. Mostly I write as if I am emailing a person in particular and trying to tell a story to someone I know, who knows me and the major players in the story. My writing is too familiar, and is a lot like the way I would tell a story if I were talking out loud directly to someone. To the people who know me, this is what they tell me they like about my writing, but I am not sure how it will go over with the rest of the world. We'll see I guess.

So here is my list, or the start of it anyway. And I am open to suggestions from the people who know me who have gotten email novels from me or who have shared strange experiences with me or who know of any stories I have that are worth telling.

1. the disclaimer. i might be lying, but i remember things this way, so i am not intentionally lying.

2. Desi's birth

3. Mini's birth

4. the Meridean birthday party #1 where we had a "best nipples contest" and splashed in the river giggling like banshees.

5. the burned face/pimple story (check! see post #1)

6. Rock Fest

7. Matt & me on a pile of gravel in the middle of the night

8. My mom. I am pretty sure she will get several "chapters."

9. I will have to look through old sent emails to try to find stories I sent.

10. The trauma of the nipple post-piercing

11. my dad turning his entire yard into a flower garden (in theory it sounds nice.)

12. my uncle stripping down to his tiny, tight underwear in my grandma's kitchen

13. the elephant drawing and wolf in sheep's clothing poem, as well as the spelling bee.

14. danielle. oh danielle.

15. ghetto paradise. sitting in the garage on the removed back seat of a van until all hours of the night. D with a 40.

16. Getting drunk on hot wine coolers at Big Falls with Katie and Matt midday

17. Getting drunk in Tilden in the middle of the day with Katie.

18. the summer that none of us seemed to have a job, but we always had what we needed.

19. Pat and me and the glow sticks.

20. Mom's Side Family Gatherings

21. Peanut Butter (names will have to be changed.)

22. Dad's Side family gatherings from when I was little, before Grandma H died.

23. Lists (favorite foods, smells, things about summer/winter/fall/spring, pet peeves, things that make me smile, favorite things, etc...)

24. Would I go back to high school and do it all over again? If so, what would I change?

25. Rock Falls Pond Project Plea for Help (and brainstorm as to how to raise money for it.)

26. The three times I nearly choked to death.


Friends: please send me other story suggestions. D-rock wants me to write a book. At least it will be therapeutic for me, and entertaining for some of you. Also if you have any old emails that I sent, please send them back to me if you wouldn't mind.

*******************************************
These are the suggestions I have received so far:

AC - lol i think there could be an entire book alone about the holiday get togethers...grandma always crying...political views getting out of hand...laughing until we all have cramps. I agree that the skinny dipping birthday has to be in there, although i was part of that and it could get quite interesting (i dont know if it was a ritual and you did that more than once or just the one time). That was quite a memory for me lol. I would definately read your book.

HJ - Oh of course A! Every Thanksgiving and Christmas since before I was born! That is a for sure. As far as the skinny dipping birthday goes, I was talking about the one that you were at, although yes, it is sort of a ritual. Not like it's carved in stone or anything, but I have a tendency to get naked every chance I get.

D-Rock - rock falls in general...grandma h...the "horrible horse riding" incident...the horrible "falling out of the truck" incident...the "you and julia sneaking out of your dad's house via the upstairs window" incident...i'm still thinking. there's ton's more, we both know it! i'm excited

Grace E - ok I have a few more:
-Reading Hustlers at Randy's - one of our favorite activities
-Last year's Halloween - I will send that email back to you - LOL!!!
-Grandma Virginia's dolls and donuts and CLOTHES!
-Collection of fair "gifts" ie Unicorn mirrors, etc
-Spraying air freshener while Randy smoked the bong OMG LOL LOL!!
-Randy's unbelievable collection of 8tracks then CDs - think Bangles and Heart
-there are more... i will keep thinking! xoxo

Jess - the alabama slammer night was a blast and very eventful. getting chased out of the bar, Kevin being found at the church. That was a fun night. ahh

JCL - Definitely the sneaking out/jumping out the window escapade!! what about your ordeal with mean lady and the fancy photocopies? That would be a seriously funny essay.
You could tell a ton of funny stories based on MPC
And what about all the different places you lived, etc. before Anais was born, like when you lived in that trailer with all those cats and we had a huge going away party for you because you were moving to Madison and then you never left.....
LOL! I'll keep thinking

HJ - poop the tent story, haunted house poop story, poop the bar with Laura. Yes! the nineteenth! And the other house we stayed at, Burt's house on 37 by the Welcome Matt. OMG

No comments:

Post a Comment